You are an Occupational Health and Safety Specialist consultant. As a consultant, you work with various businesses to analyze work environments and design programs to control, eliminate and PREVENT disease and INJURY. This is your first year as a consultant, thus, there are different aspects of the job that you still need to research on. Your first client, Mr. Joe Smith has contacted you recently because of a fire that occurred at his restaurant, Tumon Steak House, on December 19, 2011.
The fire was caused by greasy kitchen hood. As a result, three line cooks suffered second degree burn and were hospitalized. These employees, JR Harrison, Ana Bordallo, and Vale Sablan, will be away from work for 30 days. Consequently Mr. Joe Smith is seeking your help to
a. conduct a general safety audit of the restaurant's facilities, equipment, employee, and management practices and
b. design a Restaurant Accident Prevention program that will prevent future injury.
c. create a chemical Hazard Communication program for Tumon Steak House.
Your audit of Tumon Steak House reveals the following work safety problems:
- Empty boxes in front of the kitchen exit door.
- Backdoor exit is locked.
- The stove, griddle, and range hood are extremely greasy.
- Lianna, the line cook, is seen carrying a large box, which obstructs her view, from the dry storage to the prep counter.
- Goro, a waiter, spills a drink and ignores it.
- Kamson, a line cook, spills grease on the kitchen floor and ignores it.
- Brent dropped some ice cubes on the kitchen floor and ignores it.
- Maria, another line cook, is seen emptying a hot deep fat fryer.
- Huge crack in a step leading into the restaurant.
- The guard on the electric slicer is off because the machine is being cleaned.
- Keanna doesn't know where the MSDS are kept.
- There is no chemical Hazard Communication program in place.
- Nathan, a line cook, is seen working in flip-flops, loose shirt, and bermuda shorts.
- There is no class C fire extinguishers in the restaurant.
- A cleaning agent's lid is unsealed and the cleaning agent is stored on an upper shelf.
- The mixer's electrical cord is frayed.
- The first aid kid is tucked away in the manager's drawer.
- The evacuation plan has not been updated or discussed with employees in more than two years.
The OSHA safety inspector is coming back in 30 days to check that all violations have been corrected and that any unsafe employee practices have been addressed.
To complete this project, follow the steps listed under the "Process" page of this webquest.
Click on the URL below to begin working on this project.