Students will be given their materials as well as a worksheet to fill out as they conduct tests on the crystals. Students contemplate what will happen during each temperature test. Questions to answer:
1. What do you think will happen when heat is applied?
2. Is room temperature something one should consider before conducting the
3. How do you think cooling with effect the crystals?
4. Do you think that when crystals are formed in nature that their environmental
temperature would have the same effects on them?
5. Create a spreadsheet or graph of crystals growth.
As students conduct the experiment step by step they will need to write a short description of what is
happening in their own words on the back of their worksheet. Continuously describe what
should be happening as they apply different temperatures to the crystals....
Students will need to explain what was observed that they considered to be weird. They will need to explain if they
were correct about their assumptions before conducting the experiment. Allow them time
to discuss their findings with the class. Make sure that all the students have shared
something that they observed.
Students will also speculate about what might happen in the crystal caves
Show the students the website and links associated with the crystal caves and allow them
to see how what they did is similar to what those scientists are doing in the real world.