LET'S GET STARTED!
You will be divided into exploring groups of 2-3 students. Each group will be responsible for one planet in our solar system. By following the links in the RESOURCE section at the bottom of this page, you will explore and find interesting facts about your planet. You will need to answer 10 specific questions about your planet and add 2 interesting details about your planet, but feel free to add any extra exciting information! After you have compiled your facts, you will need to turn this information into a PowerPoint that will be presented in front of the class. Each student will also be responsible for completing a drawing of the solar system.
Group 1 - Mercury
Group 2 - Venus
Group 3 - Earth
Group 4 - Mars
Group 5 - Jupiter
Group 6 - Saturn
Group 7 - Uranus
Group 8 - Neptune
For each planet, the following questions need to be answered in complete sentences and handed in to your teacher:
- What is the name of your planet?
- What is your planet's order from the sun?
- What is the size of your planet?
- What is the temperature on your planet? (day/night)
- How long does your planet take to revolve around the sun?
- How long would one day be on your planet?
- Does your planet have any moons? If so, what are their names?
- What/who is your planet named after?
- Is your planet an Inner Planet or Outer Planet?
- What is the surface like on your planet?
- Interesting Fact #1
- Interesting Fact #2
POWERPOINT / PRESENTATION
Your PowerPoint must have:
- at least 15 slides (hint: one fact per slide)
- at least 5 pictures
- the name of your planet on the first slide (title slide)
- along with group member's names
- and the date
- each group member must present at least 3 slides
SOLAR SYSTEM DRAWING
On a regular size piece of white paper, you must complete a drawing of the solar system. You have 2 options:
- Start with the Sun on the Left hand side and draw the planets, in order, going to the left.
- Place the Sun in the center, drawing the planets in order, expanding outward in orbit.
- Drawing must be completed in colored pencil
- Planets need to be labeled
- The heading "Our Solar System" must be on the page
- Your name must be on the page
- Planets must be in order
- Planets need to resemble what they really look like, including size (when compared with other planets)