1. You will be assigned to a team of four students.
2. As a team, discuss the roles needed to be filled andchoose a team member for each role. Team roles are found further down this page.
3. Each team member will print out the graphic organizers to help with their research. Fill out the first 3 sections of the KWL chart before starting your research and print out two Cause and Effect sheets per team member for use during research.
4. Research the topic by exploring the links and resources assigned to you job. It’s important to collect data and start to form an opinion based on the research you're doing. Fill in the 4th section of the KWL chart as you accumulate data as well as the Cause and Effect charts.
5. After your team finishes their research, present your completed graphic organizers and explain the data you've collected as you give your opinion as to what Americafe should do. If your opinion differs from your other team members, work with your team to build a consensus. Each team can present only one opinion.
6. Your team will work together to produce a Google presentation to be presented to the “Board of Directors” that will persuade them that your findings are right and that they should take your advice.
7. After the “Board of Directors” takes your team’s advice, your team will present a marketing campaign that will be used to “sell”Americafé’s decision to the public.
8. Your team will refer to the evaluation rubric for how the work and final products will be evaluated.
Student 1. SocialAnthropologist: Examine social patterns and practices across cultures. Your job is to study how shade grown and sun grown coffee affects the farmers, their traditions and their way of life. Answer the question as to which farming practice allows the farmers to continue their traditional way of life and which one forces them to abandon their traditional way of life. Is it a positive or negative impact for the region.
Student2. EnvironmentalScientist: Concern yourself with the relations between organisms and their environment. Your job is to compare the environmental impact of Shade Grown Coffee and Sun GrownCoffee. Answer the question of which form of coffee production negatively impacts the environment most and why. Use data from research to prove your point.
Student3. Economist: Study the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services. Your job is to study the monetary impact of Fair Trade/Sun Grown Coffee on the producers and how Americafé can profit from selling Fair Trade Coffee or not. Answer the question of who benefits most from each form of farming. Show data to prove your point.
Student4. Group Leader: You're responsible for managing the three scientists on your team. To do this you have to have anoverall knowledge of the subject your team is researching, Fair Trade vs SunGrown Commercial Coffee. Read through your link to get an understanding as well as some of the resources your team members will be researching. Your most important job will be to make sure your team gets their job done well and on time.